Treatment Suggestions for the Admiration and Recognition-Seeking Schema
1. Express your true self rather than continuing to seek the approval of others. Do this by learning and using assertive communication methods.
2. List the pros and cons of maintaining this schema.
3. List the advantages and disadvantages of discovering who you are and what it would be like to live that way.
4. End putting an emphasis on money, status, or popularity. These things keep one from enjoying life fully.
5. Do experiments to find and explore your natural inclinations. Notice the positive thoughts and feelings that come with this exploration. Practice adding these inclinations in your life.
6. Notice when people disapprove of your behaviors and then learn to tolerate the disapproval. Accepting these situations as a routine part of life.
7. Learn to tolerate the feelings of withdrawal that come with giving up approval seeking behaviors. Find and then substitute other healthier forms of gratification.
8. Use EMDR to reprocess times of seeking parental approval and not receiving it.