Treatment Suggestions for the Vulnerability to Harm or Illness Schema
1.Make a list of your specific fears. Recognize and list the long-term consequence of living a phobic lifestyle, such as the lost opportunities for fun and self-exploration.
2. Recognize and list the positive benefits of moving more freely in the world, such as a richer, fuller life.
3. Increase your control of anxiety with relaxation techniques. Also, recognize times of avoidance.
4.Lower your estimation of the probability of catastrophic events by tracking how often they come true. At the same time use imagery to see times of successfully increasing your capacity to cope.
5. Notice that lowering your estimation of catastrophe helps you to manage anxiety symptoms and panic attacks.
6. Track and list times you use magical rituals and safety signals to face situations you fear. Slowly eliminate these rituals.
7. Use imagery to see future success in handling acceptable levels of risk. Use EMDR as a future projection technique to decrease negative feelings and self-perceptions related to the future event.