Treatment Suggestions for the Enmeshment Schema
1.Identify and list your own personal preferences and natural inclinations rather than doing what you think are others’ preferences.
2. Challenge the idea that is preferable to be enmeshed than to have your own identity. List and explore the advantages and disadvantages of developing your separate self.
3. Identify and list how you are both like, and different from, your parental figure(s).
4. Select partners and friends who do not foster enmeshment but respect and challenge your independence.
5. Explore and list experiences you find inherently enjoyable. Think about all your preferences in music, movies, books, food, and activities.
6. Use EMDR to reprocess memories of disagreement with parents. Eliminate the negative thoughts and self-perceptions created by these experiences.